This was originally posted on our temporary blog, which we set up in response to the hacking and now serves as our archive. In the upcoming weeks, we are going to be updating and reposting highlights. We’ll start with the very first blog post from March 22, 2010. It is funny to see it now, especially the badge part. -Nate
Foursquare has gotten some good press recently, thanks in part to SXSW. I want to help, by turning April 16 into Foursquare Day!
Background: I’ve been a fan of foursquare since before I could even use it. While it was incubating in New York, I was reading about foursquare on Mashable, but since Tampa wasn’t yet an open city, I couldn’t do much. Immediately after Tampa was unlocked I blogged and tried to get the word out to friends and fellow business owners. Although I used the mobile site, it wasn’t until I could download the Blackberry app, that I really began to see it as a game that also challenges me to try new venues in my neighborhood!
More background: I’ve always been a fan of geeky holidays. My birthday, October 23rd, falls on Mole Day (10^23). And of course March 14, (3.14) is Pi day. And May the 4th (May the force… with a lisp) is a great day for a Star Wars Day party! So why not Foursquare Day? Let’s get out there and frequent some local venues on Friday, April 16. Why then? Because it is the 4th month, and the 4-squared day!
To participate, all you have to do is check in somewhere on April 16, and use the #4sqday hashtag! Then party down! It is that easy!
But if you want to help us get the word out here are some other ideas:
- Share this blog post with everyone!
- Tweet about it. Use the one-click tweet if you want to!
- Vote the idea up on the official Foursquare Get Satisfaction page.
- Join the Foursquare Day facebook page!
- Tell your friends and use the #4sqday hashtag when making your plans!
- Make sure your venue is up to date with correct info, tags, categories, etc. For example, here is Bright Eyes venue page.
- Offer a special or discount on Foursquare Day! Tell everyone, put it on your webpage, blog about it, tweet about it. Stay tuned for our #4sqday discount!
- I don’t think it is an improper use of tips to add a tip for your venue that you are celebrating Foursquare Day with a special of some sort, but others may disagree on that point.
It has been suggested that anyone who gets 4 check-ins on Foursquare Day get a Foursquare Day badge. I am all for this! If anyone knows how to bring this badge closer to reality, let me know!
So what am I missing? What else should we do to get the word out? What are you planning on doing to celebrate Foursquare Day? And don’t forget to friend me!
If you’d like to be a part of the #4sqday planning group let me know!